NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Stanford DE Trent Murphy
|04.16.14 at 5:12 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive end
Weight: 250 pounds
Achievements: 2013 consensus All-American, first-team All-American (Walter Camp, AFCA, FWAA, Sporting News, SI.com, ESPN.com), first-team All-Pac 12, 2012 Butkus Award semifinalist
What he brings: Murphy is known as an above-average athlete with strong instincts. While he has a solid frame, though, analysts note that he does not have as much muscle as an average professional football player.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 2
Notes: Murphy played in just two games during the 2010 season after he suffered a leg injury. … During the 2013 season, Murphy led the FBS with 15 sacks and had at least one sack in 10 of 14 games. … Murphy was one of the top performers at the 3-cone drill during the combine.
FOXSports.com: Draft Diary: Stanford LB Trent Murphy tracks path to the NFL (Part 1)
FOXSports.com: Draft Diary: Stanford LB Trent Murphy tracks path to NFL (Part 2)
Video: Here is a video highlighting Murphy’s career at Stanford.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Long Snapper, May Leave Team to Fulfill Navy Duty
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions