NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Notre Dame OT Zack Martin
|04.17.14 at 5:06 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Offensive tackle
School: Notre Dame
Weight: 308 pounds
Achievements: One of 18 two-time captains in Notre Dame football history, started a team-record 52 straight games, 2013 Pinstripe Bowl MVP, 2013-14 ESPN.com All-Bowl Team, four-time Notre Dame Guardian Life Insurance Guardian of the Year, 2012 Walter Camp second-team All-American
What he brings: Some scouts and managers have argued that Martin should make a move from offensive tackle to guard because his arm length is not long enough for the NFL. While they question Martin’s size and foot speed, Martin’s knowledge of the game and power became a selling point especially after the Senior Bowl.
Where the Patriots could get him: Martin is expected to be a top-20 pick, so the Patriots likely would need to trade up to get him.
Notes: Martin, 23, redshirted his freshman year and finished out his fourth year of eligibility as a graduate student during the 2013 season even though he could have been drafted in Rounds 2-4 in 2013.
ESPN.com: Versatility should help Zack Martin
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19