NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Auburn OLB Dee Ford
|04.18.14 at 9:30 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Outside linebacker
Weight: 252 pounds
Achievements: 2014 Senior Bowl MVP, 2013 first-team All-SEC
What he brings: Ford is a great athlete who plays hard, possessing great speed and burst for the outside linebacker position. Scouts consider him a speed rusher, as he relies on his speed to get to the quarterback. While he has shown some power, scouts fear he lacks the strength to go against NFL tackles, especially when it comes to setting the edge for the running game. While the 23-year-old had experience dropping into coverage at Auburn, scouts fear his speed is too average for the NFL.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 1-2
Notes: In 2013 Ford had 8.5 sacks and 26 tackles in the regular season, adding two sacks and three tackles in the BCS national championship game against Florida State. … He missed the first two games of 2013 with a left knee sprain. He missed all but three games in 2011 due to a back injury. The back injury was an issue at the NFL combine and left Ford unable to participate in any of the drills.
ESPN: DE Ford backs up talk at Auburn’s pro day
ESPN: Dee Ford: ‘I’m better’ than Clowney
Video: Here are Ford’s highlights from his time at Auburn.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Surgery
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL
- Twitter Reacts to Brady's Denied Appeal