NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Penn State DT DaQuan Jones
|04.18.14 at 5:17 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive tackle
School: Penn State
Weight: 322 pounds
Achievements: 2013 first-team All-Big Ten
What he brings: Jones lost 25 pounds during the 2013 offseason and, according to scouts, now displays more quickness off the snap. Jones has the strength to control blocks, but analysts say that he can take plays off at times and struggle with his range.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-3
Notes: Jones was ranked the No. 2 high school offensive lineman by Rivals.com coming out of Johnson City (N.Y.) High. He also was the captain of his football and basketball teams and was a member of the track and field team in high school. … Penn State coaches initially kept Jones out of the first four games of his freshman season in an attempt to preserve the chance to have him redshirt. His play during practice, however, got him time on the field. By his senior year, he started in all 12 games and led the teams with 11.5 tackles for loss.
Houston Texans: Penn State DT DaQuan Jones on future
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: DaQuan Jones Q&A at the NFL scouting combine
Video: Here is a video with highlights from Jones’ senior season at Penn State.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Joe Mixon Reportedly Removed from Patriots' Draft Board Due to Assault...
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text