NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard
|04.19.14 at 9:26 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
School: Michigan State
Weight: 199 pounds
Achievements: Jim Thorpe Award, Jack Tatum Award, unanimous first-team All-American, Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year, 2013 first-team All-Big Ten (coaches, media), Big Ten Defensive MVP (ESPN.com, CollegeFootballNews.com), Nagurski Trophy finalist
What he brings: Analysts say that Dennard has perfect size for his position and has strong reaction skills — allowing him to see plays well and have overall good awareness on the field. However, he did not play against many top offenses, and his recent injury history is a concern.
Where the Patriots could get him: Dennard is projected to be a top-15 pick, so the Patriots likely would need to trade up to get him.
Notes: Dennard played much of his junior season with a sports hernia that he likely suffered in September 2012. He had surgery for that injury after the season. … Dennard is a distant cousin of Patriots cornerback Alfonzo Dennard.
CBSSports.com: 2014 NFL Combine: Canvassing the corner market
CBSSports.com: 2014 NFL Combine: Darqueze Dennard surprisingly sizzles in 40
Video: Here is a video highlighting Dennard’s time with Michigan State.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Long Snapper, May Leave Team to Fulfill Navy Duty
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions