NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard
|04.19.14 at 9:26 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
School: Michigan State
Weight: 199 pounds
Achievements: Jim Thorpe Award, Jack Tatum Award, unanimous first-team All-American, Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year, 2013 first-team All-Big Ten (coaches, media), Big Ten Defensive MVP (ESPN.com, CollegeFootballNews.com), Nagurski Trophy finalist
What he brings: Analysts say that Dennard has perfect size for his position and has strong reaction skills — allowing him to see plays well and have overall good awareness on the field. However, he did not play against many top offenses, and his recent injury history is a concern.
Where the Patriots could get him: Dennard is projected to be a top-15 pick, so the Patriots likely would need to trade up to get him.
Notes: Dennard played much of his junior season with a sports hernia that he likely suffered in September 2012. He had surgery for that injury after the season. … Dennard is a distant cousin of Patriots cornerback Alfonzo Dennard.
CBSSports.com: 2014 NFL Combine: Canvassing the corner market
CBSSports.com: 2014 NFL Combine: Darqueze Dennard surprisingly sizzles in 40
Video: Here is a video highlighting Dennard’s time with Michigan State.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...