NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Arkansas DE Chris Smith
|04.21.14 at 5:26 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive end
Weight: 266 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-SEC honorable mention
What he brings: Smith has long arms and, according to scouts, he has both solid take-off and closing speed while playing with urgency. They also say, though, that he has shown inconsistency off the snap and lacks a typical playing strength.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 3-4
Notes: Smith became a starter as a junior in 2012 and posted 52 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks and four batted passes. During his senior year, Smith, who was team captain, saw his numbers decline as he had 36 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks with one pass batted. … Smith was one of the top performers in the vertical jump with a height of 37.0 inches during the NFL combine. … In high school Smith was considered one of the top defensive recruits in North Carolina. The Mount Ulla, N.C., native won back-to-back state titles before he joined the Razorbacks in 2010. … Smith was arrested in October 2012 after he failed to appear in court for a speeding ticket that charged him with going 64 mph in a 45 mph zone. He was released on $415 bond.
The Indianapolis Star: There’s more than Clowney at combine
Video: Here are highlights of Smith against Texas A&M.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction