NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: UConn ILB Yawin Smallwood
|04.21.14 at 9:48 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Inside linebacker
Weight: 246 pounds
Achievements: 2013 first-team All-ACC, 2012 first team All-Big East
What he brings: Smallwood produced while at UConn and showed off great athletic ability, especially with his speed. While he is undersized for an NFL inside linebacker, Smallwood could be used as a nickel or dime sub-package linebacker in coverage. Analysts note that his biggest drawback is his awareness during play action, as he can get caught out of position.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 5-6
Notes: The Worcester native had 118 tackles, four sacks, an interception and 9 1/2 tackles for loss in 2013. He had 332 career tackles. … Smallwood pulled his hamstring during the 40-yard dash at the 2014 NFL combine, recording a time of 5.01 seconds.
FoxSports: Former UConn LB Smallwood generating plenty of interest despite setback
Video: Here are Smallwood’s highlights against Michigan in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick