NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Missouri OLB Michael Sam
|04.23.14 at 9:35 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Outside linebacker
Weight: 261 pounds
Achievements: 2013 consensus All-American, 2013 SEC co-Defensive Player of the Year, 2013 first-team All-SEC
What he brings: Sam, a defensive end in college, is seen more as an outside linebacker at the NFL level. His tenacious effort and underrated strength are a product of his hard work in the weight room. Sam is considered a high-character player by those who played with him and coached him. Many analysts predict the undersized 24-year-old will struggle in the role due to his lack of experience in coverage, average speed and a lack of pass-rushing moves.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 4-6
Notes: Sam recorded 10.5 sacks and two pass deflections in the regular season for Missouri. During the AT&T Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma State, Sam recorded three tackles and a sack in the victory. … In an interview with ESPN that aired on Feb. 9, 2014, Sam announced that he was gay and that he had come out to his teammates during the summer of 2013. Because of the announcement, Sam has received an extensive amount of media attention, which some experts believe could affect where he is drafted.
Fox Sports: Former scout: Michael Sam will get drafted after pro day showing
New York Times: Before coming out, a hard time growing up
Video: Here are Sam’s 2013 highlights against South Carolina.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It
- NFL1000: Why New England's Defense Can Carry Belichick to Another Super...
- Patriots vs. Dolphins: Full Report Card Grades for New England