NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Towson RB Terrance West
|04.23.14 at 3:05 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Running back
Weight: 225 pounds
Achievements: Set NCAA FCS single-season rushing yards record (2,509 yards), single-season rushing touchdown record (41 touchdowns) in 2013, 2011 CAA Offensive Rookie of the Year, 2011 Jerry Rice Award
What he brings: At Towson, West was a dominating player who obliterated defenses with his tough, compact frame and solid speed. West showed decent hands in his time in the CAA as well. The 23-year-old isn’t afraid to take contact, but scouts are concerned he takes too much contact at times. His pass protection is sub-par and he has a tendency to hold the ball high. Scouts also are concerned that West is from a league with inferior talent and will struggle in the NFL. West is viewed as a workhorse type of back who will wear down defenses.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 3
Notes: In 2013, West ran for 2,509 yards and 41 touchdowns to bring his career totals to 4,854 yards and 84 touchdowns, both Towson records. After seeing 194 and 195 carries in 2011 and 2012, respectively, West saw his carries go up to 413 in 2013. … At the NFL combine, West ran a 4.54 40-yard dash, benching 225 pounds 16 times and recording 33 1/2 inches on the vertical jump.
USA Today: Terrance West a sleeper to watch at NFL Scouting Combine
Video: Here are West’s 2013 highlights with Towson.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video