NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Louisville DE Marcus Smith
|04.25.14 at 2:51 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive end
Weight: 251 pounds
Achievements: 2013 American Athletic Conference’s Defensive Player of the Year, 2013 first-team All-American, second-team All-American (Walter Camp. CBSSports, USA Today)
What he brings: Scouts say that Smith has a nice combination of balance and ideal body control, as well as a good initial quickness from the three-point stance. However, the book on Smith includes the fact that he plays short and lacks variety in his pass rush technique.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2 through 4
Notes: Smith took home the AAC’s Defensive Player of the Year award after a 2013 season where he started in 13 games and had 42 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss, 14.5 sacks, three passes batted, four forced fumbles and a blocked kick. His 14.5 sacks were second most amongst FBS pass rushers. Smith first made the move to defensive end during the 2011 season and became the left defensive end starter in 2012. He spent his freshman season as a converted linebacker after spending time as quarterback during prep school.
Video: Here is a video highlighting Smith’s career at Louisville.
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Conor McDermott NFL Draft 2017: Scouting Report for Seattle Seahawks'...
- Deatrich Wise Jr NFL Draft 2017: Scouting Report for New England...
- Brandin Cooks' Contract Option Reportedly Exercised by Patriots
- Derek Rivers Becomes 1st Player Drafted by Super Bowl Champion Patriots...
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season