NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Louisville DE Marcus Smith
|04.25.14 at 2:51 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive end
Weight: 251 pounds
Achievements: 2013 American Athletic Conference’s Defensive Player of the Year, 2013 first-team All-American, second-team All-American (Walter Camp. CBSSports, USA Today)
What he brings: Scouts say that Smith has a nice combination of balance and ideal body control, as well as a good initial quickness from the three-point stance. However, the book on Smith includes the fact that he plays short and lacks variety in his pass rush technique.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2 through 4
Notes: Smith took home the AAC’s Defensive Player of the Year award after a 2013 season where he started in 13 games and had 42 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss, 14.5 sacks, three passes batted, four forced fumbles and a blocked kick. His 14.5 sacks were second most amongst FBS pass rushers. Smith first made the move to defensive end during the 2011 season and became the left defensive end starter in 2012. He spent his freshman season as a converted linebacker after spending time as quarterback during prep school.
Video: Here is a video highlighting Smith’s career at Louisville.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England