NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Florida State LB Telvin Smith
|04.30.14 at 5:27 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
School: Florida State
Weight: 218 pounds
Achievements: 2013 second-team All-ACC
What he brings: Smith is a fast, rangy linebacker with above-average coverage skills for the position. He has the speed and instincts to be a good coverage linebacker in the NFL, but he lacks the weight to match up with some of the bigger players. The 23-year-old needs to get better at tackling and wrapping up.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-4
Notes: Smith recorded 90 tackles in 2013, his first year as a starter, along with three interceptions for 147 yards and two touchdowns. In the ACC championship game, Smith record a sack, an interception, eight tackles and two tackles for a loss. … At the NFL combine he ran a 4.52 40-yard dash. … In 2011 Smith was suspended one game for violating team rules.
Orlando Sentinel: FSU linebacker Telvin Smith inspired by his hometown’s passion for football
ESPN: Telvin Smith leads by example
Video: Here are Smith’s 2013 highlights with Florida State.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Patriots OT Sebastian Vollmer Injury
- Latest Updates on Tom Brady's Thumb Injury
- Malcolm Mitchell Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Elbow
- Tom Brady Comments on Suspension, Decision to Drop Deflategate Appeal
- Latest Updates on Bryan Stork's Concussion
- Gronk Is Too Good to Be NFL's Highest-Paid TE
- Rob Gronkowski Contract: Latest News, Rumors on TE's Negotiations with...