NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Missouri CB E.J. Gaines
|05.01.14 at 5:42 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 190 pounds
Achievements: 2013, 2011 first-team All-Big 12, three-time University of Missouri Cornerback of the Year, 2012 University of Missouri Kansas City Player of the Year
What he brings: According to scouts, Gaines is a confident player with good athleticism and a solid ability to anticipate routes. They also say, though, that he needs to drop his shoulder to make more thorough hits and could convert more of his blocked passes into interceptions.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 4-5
Notes: in 2013 Gaines had 75 tackles with three pass breakups and five interceptions as well as four tackles for loss despite missing two games with a strained quad. Gaines, who was team captain, also had an 11-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown during the SEC championship game against Auburn. … Gaines became a starting cornerback during the 2011 season and had a career year as he set a Missouri record and ranked fourth in the NCAA with 18 passes defended. … Gaines played in all 13 games as a true freshman at Missouri in 2010. He finished the year with 26 tackles and a pass breakup in his first year with the Tigers. … At the NFL combine, Gaines only participated in the bench press because of an injury to his pelvis that limited his offseason workouts.
The Kansas City Star: MU’s E.J. Gaines believes making big players more important than being a big player
Columbia Daily Tribune: Senior E.J. Gaines’ experience brings with it wisdom, skill
Video: Here is a video highlighting Gaines’ time with Missouri.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video