NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Wisconsin ILB Chris Borland
|05.03.14 at 6:36 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Inside linebacker
Weight: 245 pounds
What he brings: Borland could be one of the most complete players in the draft with a great pedigree and few flaws. The 23-year-old consistently showed solid coverage skills, great tackling and diagnosis of plays and some big-play ability. Scouts are underwhelmed with his size, but Borland proved at Wisconsin that he can be successful. He has drawn comparisons to Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas. There are concerns about Borland’s shoulder, which he injured in 2010, causing him to miss all but two games that year.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-3
Notes: In 2013 Borland recorded 111 tackles, four sacks, 8 1/2 tackles for a loss and one forced fumble. … At the NFL combine Borland ran a 4.83 40-yard dash, benched 225 pounds 27 times and performed the 3-cone drill in 7.18 seconds.
Merced Sun-Star: Borland measuring up as a ‘safe’ pick
Video: Here are Borland’s highlights against South Carolina in the 2014 Capital One Bowl.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots
- Patriots Last-Minute 7-Round Mock Draft and Top-100 Big Board
- What Are the Patriots' Long-Term Needs?