NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Wisconsin ILB Chris Borland
|05.03.14 at 6:36 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Inside linebacker
Weight: 245 pounds
What he brings: Borland could be one of the most complete players in the draft with a great pedigree and few flaws. The 23-year-old consistently showed solid coverage skills, great tackling and diagnosis of plays and some big-play ability. Scouts are underwhelmed with his size, but Borland proved at Wisconsin that he can be successful. He has drawn comparisons to Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas. There are concerns about Borland’s shoulder, which he injured in 2010, causing him to miss all but two games that year.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-3
Notes: In 2013 Borland recorded 111 tackles, four sacks, 8 1/2 tackles for a loss and one forced fumble. … At the NFL combine Borland ran a 4.83 40-yard dash, benched 225 pounds 27 times and performed the 3-cone drill in 7.18 seconds.
Merced Sun-Star: Borland measuring up as a ‘safe’ pick
Video: Here are Borland’s highlights against South Carolina in the 2014 Capital One Bowl.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick