NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Clemson CB Bashaud Breeland
|05.04.14 at 9:06 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 197 pounds
Achievements: 2013 second-team All-ACC
What he brings: Breeland is a young, athletic corner who still needs to develop multiple parts of his game. While he looks the part, he only has sufficient speed. Analysts say his lack of top-end speed, failure to prevent receivers from getting behind him and overaggressive hands make him susceptible to big plays. The Clemson corner needs to improve his run tackling, too. Breeland is better in the shorter part of the field and doesn’t make too many mental errors in coverage. Breeland has all the tools to be a top cornerback in the league, he just has to put it all together.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 3-4
Notes: In 2013 Breeland recorded four interceptions, 17 pass breakups and 74 tackles. The 22-year-old finished his career with six interceptions, three sacks and 136 tackles. … At the NFL combine he ran a 4.59 40-yard dash, benched 225 pounds 11 times and ran the 3-cone drill in 7.04 seconds.
The Post and Courier: Clemson’s Bashaud Breeland battling to join elite group of NFL cornerback prospects
Video: Here are Breeland’s highlights against Syracuse in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return