NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Duke CB Ross Cockrell
|05.04.14 at 5:33 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 191 pounds
Achievements: 2013, 2012 first-team All-ACC (media, coaches), three-time Academic All-ACC, 2012 All-American honorable mention (Sports Illustrated), 2012 Willis Aldridge Award as Duke’s most outstanding defensive back, 2010 freshman third-team All-American (Phil Steele)
What he brings: According to scouts, Cockrell has solid awareness on the field and plays with discipline. They also say, though, that he has a small frame and some tightness in his hips.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 3-5
Notes: Cockrell graduated with a degree in political science in May 2013 but returned for the 2013 season while he pursued a graduate degree in the subject. He finished his career at Duke with the fourth-most passes defended, sixth-most passes broken up and 10th-most interceptions (tied). … During the 2012 season, Cockrell acted as a team captain and had a school-record 75-yard blocked field goal return for a touchdown. … Cockrell made his Duke debut in 2010 after redshirting during the 2009 season. Cockrell, who’s father played football at Columbia, started in all 12 games during that first season and finished the year with 60 tackles — the sixth most on the team. He also led Duke with three interceptions and was second on the team with seven passes broken up.
FOXSports.com: Former Duke CB Ross Cockrell eager for NFL scouting combine
The Herald-Sun: CB Ross Cockrell holds nothing back at Duke pro day
Video: Here is a video that highlights Cockrell’s career with Duke.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...