NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater
|05.05.14 at 7:37 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 214 pounds
Achievements: 2013 Sugar Bowl MVP, 2012 Big East Offensive Player of the Year, 2011 Freshman All-American, 2011 Big East Rookie of the Year
What he brings: Bridgewater has been one of the most scrutinized players available in the draft. The 21-year-old started out as a consensus top player but has fallen, with some even thinking the quarterback could fall out of the first round due to a poor showing at his pro day. Bridgewater is a smart, talented quarterback who was very respected on and off the field at Louisville. While he is slightly undersized and does not have very quick feet, he shows great arm mechanics, accuracy and touch. He doesn’t have excellent arm strength, and he has struggled in adverse environments. His combination of calmness on the field, leadership and talent, though, are too much for him to slide too much in the draft.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 1-2
Notes: Bridgewater completed 71 percent of his passes in 2013, throwing for 3,970 yards and 31 touchdowns with four interceptions. During his time at Louisville, he threw 72 touchdown passes, third best in school history. His career completion mark of 68.3 percent is the best in school history. … In 2012, Bridgewater suffered a sprained ankle and fractured wrist in the same game. … At his pro day, Bridgewater ran a 4.79 40-yard dash.
ESPN: Bridgewater’s lesson in inspiration
CBS Sports: Teddy Bridgewater to his critics: ‘Put on the game tape’
SB Nation: Teddy Bridgewater and Mike Mayock’s existential crisis
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Joe Mixon Reportedly Removed from Patriots' Draft Board Due to Assault...
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text