NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: South Carolina WR Bruce Ellington
|05.05.14 at 9:11 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Wide receiver
School: South Carolina
Weight: 197 pounds
Achievements: 2013, 2012, 2011 SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll, 2011 Freshman All-SEC honors
What he brings: Ellington is a bit of a mystery. In his three seasons with the Gamecocks, he showed his quick speed and agility, including reliable hands and playmaking ability. However, South Carolina’s offense didn’t require him to know the full route tree, and allowed the receiver to roam a little bit. Ellington often showed up as an unwilling blocker for his fellow receivers and running backs. Scouts are concerned about his lack of height.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-3
Notes: In 2013 Ellington recorded 49 catches for 775 yards and eight touchdowns. He finished his career at South Carolina with 106 catches for 1,586 yards and 16 touchdowns. … At the NFL combine the 22-year-old recorded a 4.45 40-yard dash, benched 225 pounds 15 times and ran the 3-cone drill in 6.69 seconds. … Ellington played basketball at South Carolina in 2010 before joining the football team in 2011 and playing both sports. … Ellington’s cousin, Andre Ellington, is a running back for the Cardinals who was drafted in the sixth round last year out of Clemson.
SB Nation: Bruce Ellington: Upside, upside, upside
Video: Here are highlights of Ellington at South Carolina.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Ankle, Shoulder and...
- Griff Whalen to Patriots: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction