NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: South Carolina WR Bruce Ellington
|05.05.14 at 9:11 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Wide receiver
School: South Carolina
Weight: 197 pounds
Achievements: 2013, 2012, 2011 SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll, 2011 Freshman All-SEC honors
What he brings: Ellington is a bit of a mystery. In his three seasons with the Gamecocks, he showed his quick speed and agility, including reliable hands and playmaking ability. However, South Carolina’s offense didn’t require him to know the full route tree, and allowed the receiver to roam a little bit. Ellington often showed up as an unwilling blocker for his fellow receivers and running backs. Scouts are concerned about his lack of height.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-3
Notes: In 2013 Ellington recorded 49 catches for 775 yards and eight touchdowns. He finished his career at South Carolina with 106 catches for 1,586 yards and 16 touchdowns. … At the NFL combine the 22-year-old recorded a 4.45 40-yard dash, benched 225 pounds 15 times and ran the 3-cone drill in 6.69 seconds. … Ellington played basketball at South Carolina in 2010 before joining the football team in 2011 and playing both sports. … Ellington’s cousin, Andre Ellington, is a running back for the Cardinals who was drafted in the sixth round last year out of Clemson.
SB Nation: Bruce Ellington: Upside, upside, upside
Video: Here are highlights of Ellington at South Carolina.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick