NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: North Dakota State OT Billy Turner
|05.06.14 at 12:15 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Offensive tackle
School: North Dakota State
Weight: 315 pounds
Achievements: 2013 FCS All-America first team (Associated Press, AFCA, Sports Network), 2013 FCS Athletic Directors Association Offensive Lineman of the Year, 2012 FCS All-America first team (Associated Press, Sports Network)
What he brings: Analysts have praised Turner for his NFL-ready size and athleticism, but concerns have been raised regarding his knack for overextending himself and for losing balance after contact. Playing in the FCS against sub-par talent has raised questions about how Turner will handle elite players in the NFL. While he has played exclusively at tackle during his collegiate career, there is speculation that he’ll end up at guard in the NFL.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-4
Notes: Turner started 56 of 57 career games with North Dakota State, which won three straight FCS national championships. … As a senior, Turner was not responsible for any quarterback sacks. … At the NFL combine, Turner ran a 5.14 40-yard dash while benching 225 pounds 25 times. … Turner’s father, Maurice Turner, was a running back who played 27 games in the NFL from 1984-87 with the Vikings, Packers and Jets.
NDNewsFeed.com: Buzz builds for NDSU’s Turner
The Jamestown Sun: NDSU tackle turning heads
Video: Here are Turner’s highlights against Kansas State in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...