NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Rice CB Phillip Gaines
|05.06.14 at 9:05 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 193 pounds
Achievements: 2013, 2012 first-team All-CUSA, 2013 Preseason C-USA Defensive Player of the Year (coaches)
What he brings: Analysts have praised Gaines for his speed, athleticism and ball-hawking ability. Durability is a concern, as he only played in five games during the 2011 season. He needs to develop his instincts in order to make better plays against the pass. He also needs to build strength, as he has struggled with tackling.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-4
Notes: Gaines recorded 36 tackles and four interceptions and batted down nine passes in 2013. … He broke up 38 passes in his collegiate career, a school record. … Gaines was the only junior to be named captain of the 2012 squad. … At the NFL combine, Gaines ran a 4.38 40-yard dash (second fastest of all CBs there) and completed the 3-cone drill in 6.67 seconds (second fastest of all CBs, fifth fastest of any player timed).
Memphis Commercial Appeal: Phillip Gaines’ ‘line in the sand’ sparks Rice revival
SB Nation: Rice’s Phillip Gaines is the best corner you haven’t heard of yet
ESPN: Countdown to on the clock: Phillip Gaines
Video: Here is a video highlighting Gaines’ pass breakup ability.
Here’s Gaines’ performance at the NFL combine.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL