NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Florida CB Jaylen Watkins
|05.07.14 at 10:13 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 194 pounds
Achievements: 2013 Gene Elleson Community Service Award (team award), 2012 College Football Performance Award, Week 4 (DB)
What he brings: Watkins is a smooth athlete who is fluid on the field and is an overall solid cornerback. While he’s not the biggest corner, he has superior speed that allows him to move all over the field. He’s one of the best tackling corners available in the draft, showing up in run defense. His coverage skills are spotty, and he needs to be a little less physical with receivers. Scouts are concerned that he never emerged at Florida and wonder what his ceiling is.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 3
Notes: In 2013 Watkins recorded 52 tackles and seven pass deflections. All three of his interceptions came in 2012. In his time at Florida, Watkins started 22 games at cornerback and six at safety. … Watkins ran a 4.41 40-yard dash at the NFL combine, benching 225 pounds 22 times. … He is the half brother of Sammy Watkins, a Clemson wide receiver who is considered a top-10 pick in this draft.
Daily Orange: Brothers Sammy, Jaylen Watkins share powerful bond through stardom
Video: Here are highlights of Watkins against Kentucky in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Griff Whalen to Patriots: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?