NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Louisiana Tech DT Justin Ellis
|05.07.14 at 4:25 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive tackle
School: Louisiana Tech
Weight: 334 pounds
Achievements: 2013 All-CUSA honorable mention, 2011 second-team All-WAC
What he brings: The hefty defensive tackle uses his weight and strength to fight off blocks and clog up running lanes. Scouts say that Ellis has the ability to anchor a defensive line. Concerns have been raised over Ellis’ conditioning and a lack of pass-rushing ability.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 4-5
Notes: After a lackluster 2012 campaign, Ellis posted a strong senior season with 48 tackles, including 5.5 for loss. … Ellis missed three games with a right ankle sprain in 2012. … At the NFL combine, Ellis ran the 40-yard dash in 5.27 seconds and completed 25 reps of the bench press.
Houston Texans: La. Tech NT Justin Ellis: ‘I love being a nose tackle’
Video: Here is a video highlighting some of Ellis’ best plays while at La. Tech
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick