3 incredibly early thoughts on Patriots’ selection of Michigan’s Jeremy Gallon
|05.10.14 at 8:31 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Three early thoughts on the Patriots selection of Michigan wide receiver Jeremy Gallon in the seventh round of Saturday’s draft:
1. Gallon is an undersized mighty-mite who put up impressive yardage totals while in college. He broke program records in 2013 for receiving yards in a single season (1,373 yards) and a single game (369 yards vs. Indiana). The 5-foot-8, 187-pound speedster also posted good numbers as a return man, compiling 589 yards on 27 kick returns in 2010, and 192 yards on 31 punt returns in 2011.
2. He’s wanted to come to New England for a long time. He said earlier in the pre-draft process that the Patriots would be the best fit for him, and he explained why on Saturday shortly after he was picked up by New England. “They’re known for having smaller guys,” explained Gallon, who worked out for the Patriots in March for New England’s special teams and wide receiver coaches. “They seem to just keep producing smaller guys that work in smaller spaces against big people. I just felt like it would be a good fit here as far myself and how I play and what I can bring and what they have for me to bring to the table.”
3. In terms of how Gallon projects at the NFL level, expect him to get his chances as a return man, as well as an all-purpose offensive option who might line up in the slot, split wide or at running back. Regardless, he’s going to have to show some serious positional versatility if he wants to stick in Foxboro.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...