Undrafted free agent picture starting to come into focus for Patriots
|05.10.14 at 8:23 pm ET|
Oklahoma running back Roy Finch, Iowa linebacker James Morris, Bowling Green tight end Tyler Beck, Dixie State tight end Joe Don Duncan and University of Delaware cornerback Travis Hawkins were all linked to the Patriots as undrafted free agents in the hours following the 2014 NFL draft Saturday night.
It’s important to remember that it’s a fluid situation — players and agents can agree to deals, but those agreements can chance in a moments’ notice given the changing landscape. But here are a few quick notes on each player:
— Finch is a 5-foot-7, 167-pound running back who had 262 carries for 1,412 yards and six touchdowns, to go along with 58 catches for 442 receiving yards and two touchdowns over the course of his career with the Sooners. An undersized back who projects as a third-down contributor at the next level, he also has some experience in special teams as a return man.
— Morris was just the sixth player in Iowa school history to finish with at least 400 career tackles — while with the Hawkeyes, he recorded 400 career stops, along with 26 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks and six picks.
— The 6-foot-2, 262-pound Beck had 10 catches for 177 yards and two touchdowns last season for Bowling Green.
— Duncan, 6-foot-3 and 268 pounds, was a first-team AP Little All-American after becoming the only player in school history with a 1,000-yard season. Last year, he had a team-high 71 grabs for 1,045 yards with 13 touchdowns.
— Hawkins is a 5-foot-10, 195-pound defensive back who transferred from Maryland to Delaware, and had 66 tackles, four interceptions and eight pass deflections last season. In addition, he offers some special teams value, as he returned a kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown and averaged 27.4 yards per return this past season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video