Patriots shuffle roster, release Rutgers product Jeremy Deering
|05.22.14 at 5:26 pm ET|
The Patriots made handful of relatively low-level roster moves on Thursday. The team signed first-year defensive back Daxton Swanson of Sam Houston State and rookie free agent defensive lineman L.T. Tuipulotu out of Utah. In addition, they released rookie free agent defensive back Jeremy Deering (Rutgers) and first-year wide receiver Greg Orton (Purdue).
Here’s a portion of the press release issued by the team on the moves:
Swanson, 23, originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with the Colts on April 30, 2013 out of Sam Houston State. The 5-foot-11, 191-pounder was released by the Colts on Oct. 29, 2013 and was signed to the San Francisco 49ers practice squad on Nov. 18, 2013. He was released by San Francisco on May 12. Swanson finished his college career as the school’s all-time leader in interceptions with 14.
Tuipulotu, 23, played in 12 games with 11 starts as a senior at Utah last season and finished with 42 total tackles, 1 ½ sacks, three fumble recoveries and a forced fumble.
Deering, 23, signed with the Patriots as a rookie free agent from Rutgers on May 16, 2014. The 6-foot-1, 209-pounder began his career at Rutgers as a running back in 2010 before moving to wide receiver in 2011 and then to safety as a senior in 2013. He played in all 13 games with 10 starts at safety for Rutgers in 2013 and finished with 39 total tackles and one interception.
Orton, 27, was signed to the Patriots practice squad on Dec. 31, 2013. The 6-foot-3, 199-pounder spent part of 2011 and all of 2012 on the Denver practice squad and went to training camp with Denver in 2013. He originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with the Bengals out of Purdue in 2009. Orton had stints with the Arena Football League’s Spokane Shock and the United Football League’s Omaha Knights before joining the Denver practice squad.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Position-by-Position Breakdown of New England Patriots' Top Combine...
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible