Aaron Hernandez pleads not guilty to 2012 double-murder
|05.28.14 at 2:50 pm ET|
Former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez appeared in Suffolk Superior Court Wednesday afternoon and entered pleas of not guilty to seven charges related to a 2012 double-murder in Boston.
The judge ordered Hernandez held without bail — he already is being held on charges related to the murder of Odin Lloyd last summer — until his next court appearance June 24.
The Suffolk County DA appears to have the cooperation of Hernandez associate Alexander Bradley, who is believed to be the man who accompanied Hernandez the night of the double murder.
The prosecution laid out the case against Hernandez, describing in detail the events of July 16-17, 2012, when he encountered Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado, the two victims. The victims are not believed to have had any familiarity with Hernandez prior to that night.
According to the prosecution, Hernandez was at Cure nightclub when he was bumped into by a dancing de Abreu, spilling Hernandez’s drink. When de Abreu failed to apologize, Hernandez told his friend that he believed de Abreu “deliberately dumped him and was trying him.” Although the two had no contact after that, Hernandez already had become “increasingly sensitive and angered” about what he felt was growing disrespect from people in various area nightclubs.
Hernandez later waited outside for the victims and followed them in his SUV when they drove away with three others in their car. Hernandez drove up alongside the victims’ car and said, “Yo, what’s up now” followed by a racial slur before pumping at least five rounds from a .38-caliber revolver into the car, killing the two men and wounding a third. Two others escaped by running out of the car.
Following the shooting, Hernandez drove to Hartford. He called his cousin, Tanya Singleton, who drove up from Bristol, Conn., and exchanged cars. The SUV was found last year in a garage belonging to a relative of Hernandez’s in Bristol. It had been thoroughly cleaned and had evidence that it had not been driven in a long time.
When the prosecutor finishing speaking, Hernandez’s attorney complained that the prosecution’s speech was unnecessary, and he criticized the fact that the hearing was held in a larger courtroom to accommodate the media. He voiced disapproval with the “spectacle” created by the DA’s office that he claimed was causing a “poisoning of the jury pool.”
The judge firmly rebuked the defense attorney and ended the proceeding after about 20 minutes.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...
- Former Patriots, Miami CB Leonard Myers Dies at Age 38
- Tom Brady, Patriots Reportedly Have Mutual Interest in New Contract
- Jimmy Garoppolo Reportedly May Remain with Patriots Despite Trade Rumors
- Biggest Challenges Facing New England Patriots in 2017 Offseason
- Tom Brady's Super Bowl 51 Comeback to Be Made into Book and Feature Film
- Malcolm Butler's Life Story to Be Subject of Biographical Movie