Roger Goodell: ‘Process is important’ when it comes to case of Jim Irsay
|05.29.14 at 8:27 pm ET|
FOXBORO — NFL commissioner Roger Goodell angrily answered charges from NFLPA chief DeMaurice Smith Thursday, who accused the commissioner of being party to a credibility gap when it comes to disciplining owners and players.
Smith was referring to the recent case involving Colts owner Jim Irsay, who was arrested in March for allegedly operating a vehicle while intoxicated. In addition, Irsay was allegedly in possession of $29,000 and prescription drugs that weren’t in his name, according to police reports. He has yet to be disciplined by the league.
“The commissioner understands that there is a significant credibility gap that exists in the National Football League,” Smith told ESPN. “What troubles our players is the speed and the deliberateness of the punishment that they have seen in the past when it comes to a player. There isn’t the same speed or deliberate action when it comes to an owner, and that’s a problem.”
“That’s ongoing, and like I said before, the personal conduct policy applies to commissioners, owners, players, coaches,” Goodell said when asked initially about Irsay. “It applies to all of us. We all have a responsibility to do things the right way. Yes, it’s ongoing.”
Goodell added that there are “several players” who face murky futures because of ongoing issues. In those cases, the league has yet to rule.
“We’d like to get the facts. We’d like to be thorough. And we’d like to understand them,” he added. “Charges were just filed last week. So … I don’t believe there’s a credibility gap. Judge us when we make our final determination, which we undoubtedly will. And so will everybody else. That’s fair. But don’t make judgments until we’ve had the opportunity to do what’s in the best interest of everyone, which is get the facts.
“Everybody wants process. DeMaurice Smith talks about process all the time. Process is important.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...