Notes from Patriots Friday OTA session: Darrelle Revis gets some run with new team
|05.30.14 at 4:24 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Here are a few late — but still relevant — notes on what happened in Friday’s OTA session on the practice fields behind Gillette Stadium. (It’s important to remember that it’s still only May, so please take this info with a grain of salt. Remember, there’s still plenty of football between now and September.)
– The following players were not spotted during the session, which ran for almost two hours: quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo (excused because of NFLPA Rookie Premiere); wide receivers Aaron Dobson (offseason foot surgery), Brandon LaFell and Matthew Slater; cornerback Alfonzo Dennard; offensive lineman Logan Mankins and Cameron Fleming (because Stanford hasn’t held its’ graduation yet, he cannot attend OTAs); defensive lineman Dominique Easley (ACL surgery); tight end Asa Watson (NFLPA Rookie Premiere).
– The following players appeared to be limited, and spent part of the session working out in the practice bubble: cornerback Justin Green, linebacker Deonte Skinner, defensive lineman Vince Wilfork (Achilles surgery), left tackle Nate Solder, tight end Rob Gronkowski (ACL surgery), defensive lineman Tommy Kelly (knee surgery), defensive end Will Smith (ACL surgery) and defensive lineman Armond Armstead.
– Despite the fact that there were a couple of veterans who were surprisingly limited — including Solder — the sight of Sebastian Vollmer and Jerod Mayo working with the rest of the starters and not with the rehab group has to be an encouraging sight for Patriots fans. By all accounts, Mayo has been a beast in the weight room this offseason as he rehabs from a pec injury he suffered midway through 2013, one that sent him to season-ending injured reserve. In addition, Wilfork appeared to be moving well when he was on the field.
– Darrelle Revis worked alongside multiple corners in the secondary, and stood out for a few reasons, not the least of which was the fact that he opted to wear long sleeves and sweatpants while many of his teammates were in shorts and T-shirts on the warmish day. Logan Ryan spent a lot of time at corner and — as far as we could tell — no time at safety. There were multiple personnel pairings along the backline, including one combo of rookie Jemea Thomas and Patrick Chung.
– With Garoppolo not present, it was a bit of a surprise to see New England not add an extra quarterback throughout the OTAs in hopes of keeping Tom Brady and Ryan Mallett on a pitch count. But Mallett took a lot of reps with the starters, and appeared to work well with a reasonable facsimile of the No. 1 offense.
– Kenbrell Thompkins and rookies Jeremy Gallon and Roy Finch got a lot of reps returning punts toward the end of practice.
– At the end of practice, almost the entire roster ran sprints along the back hill along a path that connected the upper workout fields (where the Patriots were holding their session) and the lower fields (where the Revs were practicing). That was a new development, at least when it comes to working out in front of the media.
2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2014 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick