Report: Patriots start talking new deal for Devin McCourty
|06.07.14 at 6:18 pm ET|
Since he came to New England, Devin McCourty has become a leader in the Patriots locker room. Now, the Patriots apparently want him to stick around for the long term.
According to Albert Breer of NFL Media, and later confirmed by Nick Underhill of MassLive.com, the Patriots are looking to pen a new deal for the 26-year-old first-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft out of Rutgers.
McCourty, who would be a free agent after this upcoming season, is scheduled to make $3.9 million this season at the end of his five-year, $10 million rookie contract. The real motivation to get a new deal done lies in the financials. The Patriots are likely looking to save money on the cap by renegotiating the 2014 salary and bonus as part of a new deal. McCourty’s cap hit this season is $5.115 million.
McCourty has proven to be one of the most versatile players on the roster, playing both cornerback and safety during his career, and has been named to the Associated Press All-Pro team at both positions (cornerback in 2010, safety in 2013). With the Patriots bringing in Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner in the offseason, McCourty is now settled as a fixture as safety in the team’s secondary.
Underhill quotes a source as saying there’s “nothing substantial” to come from the “preliminary discussions” between McCourty and the Patriots.
McCourty recorded 69 tackles in 15 games in 2013, on his way to the highest grade of all qualifying safeties from Pro Football Focus. Last season was also McCourty’s first as a full-time safety (15 games) since the Patriots moved him there sparingly in 2012. In four seasons and 63 games, McCourty has recorded 15 interceptions.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...