Thursday OTA notes: With no Ryan Mallett, Jimmy Garoppolo gets lots of extra work
|06.12.14 at 1:40 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The Patriots wrapped up their Thursday OTA session under cloudy skies on the practice field behind Gillette Stadium. Here are a few notes from the workout, which lasted roughly 100 minutes and was held in t-shirts, shorts and sweats:
The following players were not spotted during the workout: quarterback Ryan Mallett, wide receiver Aaron Dobson, wide receiver Brandon LaFell, cornerback Alfonzo Dennard, defensive lineman Dominique Easley and defensive lineman Armond Armstead. In addition, wide receiver Matthew Slater and tight end Rob Gronkowski were part of a rehab group.
– For what it’s worth, defensive linemen Vince Wilfork and Will Smith were with the main group on the field for most of the session, and the appeared to leave for the rehab group toward the end of practice.
– Not that this comes as a surprise, but Julian Edelman and Tom Brady had a nice connection going throughout the workout. Edelman had at least two nice catches at the expense of cornerback Darrelle Revis. One other thing that stood out about Revis was the fact that he appeared in multiple spots on defense — both in the slot and on the outside.
– There was an interesting exchange on one field, where offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was working in a one-on-one session with rookie quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, while Brady was throwing to Edelman and Danny Amendola. The trio of Brady, Amendola and Edelman then took many of those same routes they were working on in the throwing drill with Brady to 11-on-11s.
– Garoppolo was a mixed bag. He had a very good start, connecting on a few nice throws. (There was one impressive floater he delivered to rookie running back Roy Finch in a passing drill.) Without Mallett in attendance, he to a ton of reps in both drill work, as well as 7-on-7s and 11-on-11s.
– Again, there was some good work at the start, but he struggled at times down the stretch. Not sure how much of that was because he spent some time under center (where he rarely was as a collegian), but there were some missed throws. At the end of practice, the ball slipped out of his hands after attempting a pump fake in an 11-on-11 drill.
– Garoppolo and new receiver Jeremy Johnson were the last two players on the field at the end of the workout.
– Rookie tight end Justin Jones had a bad drop on a Garoppolo pass near the end of practice.
– Rookie center Bryan Stork had to take a lap after a botched snap.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick