Patriots release WRs Jeremy Johnson, Reese Wiggins
|07.17.14 at 4:47 pm ET|
The Patriots announced Thursday they have release wide receivers Jeremy Johnson and Reese Wiggins. The active roster now stands at 87 players.
Here’s a portion of the release issued by the team on the moves:
Johnson, 22, was signed by the Patriots as a rookie free agent out of Southern Methodist on May 27. The 6-foot, 180-pounder, led SMU with 112 receptions for 1,112 yards and six touchdowns as a senior in 2013 and earned All-American Athletic Conference Second Team honors. Johnson finished his four-year college career with 196 receptions for 1,936 yards and 10 touchdowns.
Wiggins, 23, was signed by the Patriots as a rookie free agent from East Carolina on May 27. The 5-foot-11, 185-pounder, earned All-Conference USA Honorable Mention as a senior in 2013 after finishing with 26 receptions for 372 yards and four touchdowns. Wiggins finished his career at East Carolina with 80 receptions for 1,012 yards and eight touchdowns.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Position Battles to Watch in Patriots Training Camp
- Does Brissett Have a Chance to Be Patriots Week 1 Starter?
- Brady Is Under Too Much Pressure, and It Could Crush Pats Dynasty
- Most Prominent Patriots on the Roster Bubble
- Report: Lombardi Leaving Pats Front Office
- What Could Ninkovich's Position Change Mean for Patriots Defense?
- Who Were Patriots Minicamp Stars