Patriots sign WR Greg Orton and release WR Tyler McDonald
|07.23.14 at 4:13 pm ET|
The Patriots announced Wednesday they re-signed first-year wide receiver Greg Orton and released rookie wide receiver Tyler McDonald.
Here’s a portion of the release issued by the team.
Orton, 28, was originally signed to the Patriots practice squad on Dec. 31, 2013, and was released by the team on May 22. The 6-foot-3, 199-pounder spent part of 2011 and all of 2012 on the Denver practice squad and went to training camp with Denver in 2013. He originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with the Cincinnati Bengals out of Purdue in 2009. Orton had stints with the Arena Football League’s Spokane Shock and the United Football League’s Omaha Knights before joining the Denver practice squad.
McDonald, 23, was signed by the Patriots as a rookie free agent on July 18, out of South Carolina State. The 6-foot-3, 190-pounder, had a career-best 51 receptions for 956 yards as a senior in 2013. McDonald finished his college career with 159 receptions for 2,389 receiving yards.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Week 4 Proves Why Pats Are Still in Driver's Seat
- Patriots Favored over Cowboys in Marquee Matchup
- Pros, Cons of Patriots' Offensive Line Shuffling
- What's the Secret to Lewis' Sudden Stardom?
- Blount and Lewis Are Perfect 1-2 Punch in Pats Backfield
- Adjustments Patriots Must Make After Bye Week
- Where Does Brady's Hot Start Rank?