Wednesday practice notes: Spirited sessions between WRs and DBs highlight workout
|07.30.14 at 11:57 am ET|
FOXBORO — The Patriots wrapped up their sixth session of training camp and fourth in pads Wednesday. It was a hot and sweaty morning workout that ran for just over two hours. Here are a few quick notes:
– The following players were not on the field: wide receiver Aaron Dobson (spotted in sweats), defensive back Jemea Thomas, running back Tyler Gaffney, tight end Michael Hoomanwanui, linebacker Deontae Skinner, linebacker Chris White, offensive lineman Bryan Stork, offensive lineman Chris Martin, defensive lineman Dominique Easley (sweats), wide receiver Josh Boyce and wide receiver Jeremy Gallon.
– It was a spirited practice session early on, with the wide receivers and defensive backs spending a lot of time woofing at each other. Cornerback Brandon Browner was in the middle of the action throughout the session. Kenbrell Thompkins and Browner mixed it up in a drill — nothing serious — and Browner extended his hand at the end of the play, Thompkins walked past him without acknowledging it. Later on, Browner was seen having an animated discussion with coaches and other players.
In addition — like Tuesday — there was some good drama in the drills between the rest of the wide receivers and defensive backs. Logan Ryan got away with a hold on Wilson Van Hooser. Danny Amendola made a sweet one-handed grab when going one-on-one against Patrick Chung, and Brandon LaFell made nice grab over the top of Darrelle Revis.
– Later in practice, Browner wrestled a pass away from Thompkins to force a pick.
– It was another day without much contact for tight end Rob Gronkowski. He was in pads with the rest of his teammates and going through drills but wasn’t part of the 7-on-7s or 11-on-11s. He did take his daily one-on-one session with quarterback Tom Brady, while Revis worked in coverage providing some resistance. Likewise, cornerback Alfonzo Dennard was back on the field again in pads, but working in a limited capacity, steering clear of the one-on-ones. Meanwhile, defensive lineman Tommy Kelly appeared to get back to full action, working in pads and taking the majority of drills.
– With Boyce out, Roy Finch took plenty of reps while working as a kick returner. Meanwhile, with Stork out, Dan Connolly got in some snaps while working at center with Marcus Cannon at right guard.
– The Patriots cranked up the music at practice, with U2, Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick