Reports: Ryan Mallett will start Thursday night for Patriots
|08.07.14 at 11:05 am ET|
Ryan Mallett will start Thursday’s game for the Patriots, according to several media reports.
If he does indeed get the call to start, it means Mallett is likely being showcased for a potential trade. The Arkansas product, a third-round pick in 2011, has not played a significant snap in his time with New England. Thursday would mark the first start of his career with the Patriots, either in the regular season or preseason.
As for starter Tom Brady, this would mark the third time he has not started a preseason opener for New England since 2007 — he sat in the 2008 and 2011 preseason openers.
Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald was the first to report the news.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Surgery
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL
- Twitter Reacts to Brady's Denied Appeal