Reports: Ryan Mallett will start Thursday night for Patriots
|08.07.14 at 11:05 am ET|
Ryan Mallett will start Thursday’s game for the Patriots, according to several media reports.
If he does indeed get the call to start, it means Mallett is likely being showcased for a potential trade. The Arkansas product, a third-round pick in 2011, has not played a significant snap in his time with New England. Thursday would mark the first start of his career with the Patriots, either in the regular season or preseason.
As for starter Tom Brady, this would mark the third time he has not started a preseason opener for New England since 2007 — he sat in the 2008 and 2011 preseason openers.
Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald was the first to report the news.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Long Snapper, May Leave Team to Fulfill Navy Duty
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions