Chandler Jones ‘enjoying’ showing off his versatility
|08.13.14 at 7:07 pm ET|
FOXBORO — With any Bill Belichick-coached team, there are always a number of moving parts and players in new positions. Training camp is as good of a time as any to give these a look.
Chandler Jones — who usually plays defensive end in a three-point stance — acknowledged Wednesday he has been dropping back into pass coverage on a few occasions. It’s something the third-year player relishes.
“I enjoy it. I really enjoy it — it shows a little bit of versatility,” Jones said after the second joint practice with the Eagles. “It all goes back to whatever Coach Belichick tells me to play, that’s where I am going to play.”
Having done it on a few instances last season and in college at Syracuse as well as in high school, the 6-foot-5, 265-pounder says there isn’t much difference between defensive end and the hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker position — just how you line up.
“Believe it or not, it’s very similar — that hybrid outside linebacker/defensive end position — it’s very similar. I feel like we’re doing the same exact thing, it may be difference stances to start off with,” said Jones.
Jones finished last season with 11.5 sacks after totaling six in his rookie campaign in 2012. Now that the Patriots are working with a full complement of defenders after an injury plagued 2013 season, it gives Belichick and Co. a chance to shift some players around to showcase their versatility.
With the team-first and winning attitude — moving around on the field is just an effort to do whatever it takes to win.
“We have one goal and that is to win the Super Bowl so wherever they ask you to play — if you want to win — that’s what you have to do for the team,” said cornerback Logan Ryan.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...