Bill Belichick tells Cary Williams he ‘respects’ him as a player
|08.15.14 at 11:52 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Eagles cornerback Cary Williams was all talk before this week’s joint practices with the Patriots and preseason game Friday night, calling the Patriots “cheaters” and saying they don’t get anything out of joint practices.
After three days of joint practices and Friday’s game, Williams had a change of heart and met with Patriots coach Bill Belichick at midfield following the game.
“He told me he respected me as a player, and he told me that he respected the fact I came out earlier this week and said some nice things about the [Patriots] organization,” Williams told WEEI.com. “I told him I was sorry for what I said. I just reacted out of emotion.”
On Tuesday, after the first day of joint practices Williams said it was “tremendous” to practice with the Patriots and Tom Brady. The cornerback said he made the comments originally because of the joint practices last season, in which he was thrown out of one of them for starting a fight with Aaron Dobson as well as playing the Patriots in the playoffs with the Ravens.
“Just from playing those guys on a consecutive day basis it was just so consistent playing those guys so you’re kind of develop a dislike or strong dislike for a particular organization, whatever the case may be — you say things you didn’t mean,” he said. “That was said out of pure emotion.”
Williams picked Brady off in the first quarter and returned it 77 yards for a touchdown, but injured his hamstring and didn’t return. He did stick around to meet up with Belichick, though.
“I’m sorry, I regret it, but at the end of the day it was two guys at midfield just respecting one another and understanding that I said that out of emotion rather than coming from the heart,” he said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...