Setting the scene: Patriots greet Eagles in cool preseason home opener
|08.15.14 at 5:53 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Cloudy skies and temperatures in the upper 60s will greet the Patriots and Eagles as they play the second preseason game of the summer. There is no rain in the forecast but it will be breezy and unseasonably chilly by the end of the game, set for a 7:30 p.m. ET kickoff.
It will be the likely preseason debut of several players for the Patriots, including Tom Brady, Darrelle Revis, Devin McCourty, Chandler Jones and Dont’a Hightower. The game is the culmination of another week of joint practices as the Patriots and Eagles worked out on the fields outside Gillette Stadium.
This will be the 22nd time the Patriots and Eagles have met in the preseason, surpassed only by the 23 encounters with the Giants, which will grow to 24 in two weeks as the Patriots wrap up the preseason. The Patriots hold an 11-10 advantage over the Eagles in the previous 21 meetings.
As for the game, some of the highlights to watch for will be the snap count for Vince Wilfork, who played just the first series last week in Washington before sitting out the rest of the night. Brady will get the start and who will be snapping him the ball bears some close watching, as Dan Connolly got the nod last week with the first unit offensive line.
Both offensive tackles are looking for a bounce back game, especially Nate Solder, who got beat for a sack, a quarterback hit and a holding call that cost the Patriots a first-down conversion.
The Eagles are expected to be without receivers Jeremy Maclin and Riley Cooper as Nick Foles gets the call at quarterback.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...