LeGarrette Blount, Le’Veon Bell arrested for possession of 20 grams of marijuana
|08.20.14 at 8:59 pm ET|
Apparently the Patriots made the right move not bringing back LeGarrette Blount.
The Patriots’ second-leading rusher of 2013 was arrested Tuesday afternoon, along with fellow Pittsburgh running back Le’Veon Bell, for possession of marijuana after Steelers practice.
Ross Township Police Department detective Brian Kohlhepp told the Associated Press that Pittsburgh’s top two tailbacks were in a car together when they were stopped at about 1:20 p.m. Kohlhepp told AP that motorcycle officer Sean Stafiej smelled marijuana smoke coming from the car and pulled it over. Police subsequently found a container of approximately 20 grams of pot in the vehicle.
Both Bell and Blount are expected to be charged with possession of marijuana. Bell is also expected to be charged with driving under the influence. An unidentified female in the car is also expected to be charged with possession of marijuana. Authorities also say all three persons in the car admitted the marijuana belonged to all three of them.
Blount signed with the Steelers this offseason after rushing for 772 yards and seven touchdowns on 153 carries last season in New England, a performance that earned him a two-year, $3.85 million dollar deal in the Steel City. Blount signed a one-year deal in May 2013 with the Patriots for $680,000.
Instead of re-signing Blount, the Patriots drafted James White and Roy Finch to back-up established veterans in Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Brandon Bolden and fullback James Develin.
As for Bell, the Steelers took their lead feature back in the second round of the 2013 draft, and he won the starting job as a rookie, totaling 244 carries for 860 yards and eight touchdowns in ’13.
The case will go forward, and likely be resolved, before the NFL steps in and decides on possible discipline for Bell and Blount.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England