Tom Brady on Rob Gronkowski hit: ‘I don’t think it’s dirty … how football is played now’
|11.30.15 at 2:16 am ET|
The Patriots quarterback was asked directly about the hit that Stewart laid on Gronkowski near the Denver 40-yard line on an incomplete pass with 2:53 left in the fourth quarter. As was the case in 2013, when Ward (then with the Browns) went low on the same right knee causing Gronk to tear his ACL and MCL, Stewart went low to take out the Patriots tight end.
Gronkowski’s lower body twisted violently and he landed on the ground in pain.
“I hate to see it, but it really is the only way defenders can hit now,” Brady said. “I bet if you asked the players, they would really rather go high than low. I don’t think it’s dirty. I just think that is how football is played now.”
Gronkowski did not address reporters after the game but rather got dressed in front of his locker in sweat pants and walked out of the locker room and headed for the team bus.
“Absolutely, he has been through a lot. He is a tough guy. Hopefully, it’s not too serious and our fingers are crossed,” Brady said.
Scott Chandler finished with five catches on a team-leading 11 targets for 58 yards and a touchdown. Chandler made a key catch across the middle to set up Stephen Gostkowski‘s field goal to send to overtime. Now, he figures to replace Gronkowski if the right knee injury puts him on the shelf for an extended period.
“We will need to rely on him quite a bit,” Brady added. “He is going to be a major contributor for our team. It was good to see him do that and we will see how it will go going forward.”
DraftKings has your shot to play for FREE in the $1 Million Fantasy Football Contest THIS SUNDAY! First place takes home $100,000! FOR FREE ENTRY, CLICK HERE.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video