Adam Schefter: Patriots are not expected to trade Jimmy Garoppolo
|03.01.17 at 9:08 am ET|
According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Patriots are not expected to trade backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.
Garoppolo is set to enter the last year of his rookie contract and Tom Brady is showing no signs of slowing down. With Jacoby Brissett showing he’s capable of being a decent backup, many assumed the Patriots would look trade Garoppolo so they could get something in return instead of him potentially walking next offseason via free agency and only getting a compensation pick in return.
It’s worth noting this should be taken with a grain of salt because the offers haven’t even come in for Garoppolo. Just say the Browns offered the No. 1 overall pick for Garoppolo — the Patriots are going to say no to that? Say they got offered a first, a second, and a third-round pick for him from a team — they’d say no to that too? There are teams desperate for a quarterback and with the 2017 draft class being weak at that position, this could be a way to drive the price up.
There are still roughly 60 days between now and the draft so a lot can change between now and then and the Patriots could get blown away by a trade offer and actually trade Garoppolo.
For more Patriots news, visit weei.com/patriots.
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...