Browns could still be suitors for Jimmy Garoppolo after Brock Osweiler trade
|03.09.17 at 4:24 pm ET|
The Browns have traded for a quarterback, but it might not take them out of the running for Jimmy Garoppolo.
According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Browns have acquired Brock Osweiler, a 2018 second-round pick and 2017 sixth-round selection from the Texans in exchange for a fourth-rounder this year. Cleveland, which had over $100 million in cap space entering free agency, will take on the entirety of Osweiler’s contract.
Osweiler, 26, was abysmal in Houston last season, completing only 59 percent of his passes and posting a QB rating of 72.2.
With those numbers in mind, it’s apparent the Browns aren’t counting on him to be their next franchise quarterback –– or even start next season. Schefter reports Cleveland will likely try to trade Osweiler, though it remains uncertain how many suitors they’ll be for his services. With the Bears signing Mike Glennon and the 49ers bringing Brian Hoyer aboard, it looks like Osweiler’s market will be limited.
Given the Browns’ plethora of cap space, they could be willing to pay Osweiler his full $16 million salary this season and then cut bait with him next year, or cut him now.
Essentially, they’ve bought Houston’s 2018 second-round pick, which is a strategy teams often employ in the NBA.
Throughout the last several months, the Browns have been viewed as a likely destination for Garoppolo. That still doesn’t change, despite Osweiler’s presence. It seems like he was acquired just so Cleveland could secure another draft pick. The Browns are still apparently looking for a quarterback, and Garoppolo remains one of the most enticing options out there. That is, if the Patriots make him available.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video