Patriots reportedly considering trading Malcolm Butler to Saints for WR Brandin Cooks
|03.09.17 at 10:27 am ET|
Maybe there is a second move to be made following the Patriots’ reportedly signing Stephon Gilmore.
According to ESPN’s Dianna Russini, the Patriots are considering trading Malcolm Butler to the Saints for Brandin Cooks.
This makes sense on a lot of levels. The Saints are desperate for help on defense, and the Patriots need a long-term solution at wide receiver.
The two teams reportedly discussed a trade last weekend for Cooks, but an offer of the Patriots’ first-round pick was turned down.
A potential deal could have the Patriots sending Butler and their No. 32 overall pick to the Saints for Cooks and their second-round pick (No. 42 overall) — a difference of 10 spots. New Orleans likely would then try and sign Butler to a long-term deal.
With Gilmore reportedly getting $14 million per year over five years, the Patriots will likely not be able to pay Butler long-term. Also, Butler likely is not too thrilled with the Patriots signing a cornerback for that amount of money given his situation of only making $3.91 million in 2017.
The Patriots have Eric Rowe and Cyrus Jones also at cornerback, which is worth keeping in mind. Given the Gilmore signing, Logan Ryan is likely headed elsewhere.
For more Patriots news, visit weei.com/patriots.
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...