Patriots reportedly considering trading Malcolm Butler to Saints for WR Brandin Cooks
|03.09.17 at 10:27 am ET|
Maybe there is a second move to be made following the Patriots’ reportedly signing Stephon Gilmore.
According to ESPN’s Dianna Russini, the Patriots are considering trading Malcolm Butler to the Saints for Brandin Cooks.
This makes sense on a lot of levels. The Saints are desperate for help on defense, and the Patriots need a long-term solution at wide receiver.
The two teams reportedly discussed a trade last weekend for Cooks, but an offer of the Patriots’ first-round pick was turned down.
A potential deal could have the Patriots sending Butler and their No. 32 overall pick to the Saints for Cooks and their second-round pick (No. 42 overall) — a difference of 10 spots. New Orleans likely would then try and sign Butler to a long-term deal.
With Gilmore reportedly getting $14 million per year over five years, the Patriots will likely not be able to pay Butler long-term. Also, Butler likely is not too thrilled with the Patriots signing a cornerback for that amount of money given his situation of only making $3.91 million in 2017.
The Patriots have Eric Rowe and Cyrus Jones also at cornerback, which is worth keeping in mind. Given the Gilmore signing, Logan Ryan is likely headed elsewhere.
For more Patriots news, visit weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video