What’s the latest with Malcolm Butler and the Saints?
|03.20.17 at 2:06 pm ET|
Last week restricted free agent cornerback Malcolm Butler met with the Saints on Wednesday and Thursday as the two sides look to come to agreement on a long-term deal.
According to CSNNE’s Mike Giardi, the parameters of a deal are mostly in place, but there’s some quibbling over guaranteed money. The report adds compensation between the Patriots and Saints can’t be discussed until Butler signs his tender, but both sides know what it will take to get a deal done.
ESPN’s Mike Triplett, who covers the Saints, adds “it is a process that could go either way.”
Nothing can happen until the Saints and Butler agree on a long-term contract, which by having Butler in for a visit last week, means the interest is there.
It would appear Butler isn’t going to sign his first-round tender ($3.91 million) until he knows he can get a long-term deal with the Saints. That would then trigger a domino effect where the Patriots could then trade Butler because he’s under contract.
At this point it seems the No. 11 overall pick (if the Saints signed him as a restricted free agent and Patriots didn’t match) will not be happening.
For more Patriots news, visit weei.com/patriots.
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Deatrich Wise Jr NFL Draft 2017: Scouting Report for New England...
- Brandin Cooks' Contract Option Reportedly Exercised by Patriots
- Derek Rivers Becomes 1st Player Drafted by Super Bowl Champion Patriots...
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...