Roger Goodell: Dean Blandino will have final say with all instant replay decisions
|03.23.17 at 10:26 am ET|
The NFL will change the way it reviews plays this season.
Instead of having the referee go off the field and look under the hood at replays, the referee will now get handed a tablet on the field where they can review the play with the assistance of a command center in New York.
Appearing on ESPN Radio’s Mike & Mike Thursday morning, commissioner Roger Goodell said Dean Blandino will ultimately have the final say with all replays.
“We’re going to centralize the replay back here in New York,” Goodell said. “We want the referee’s input. … He can look at the play, be in communication back in our office with Dean Blandino, and Dean Blandino will have the final decision. We think that will move it much quicker.”
Goodell also said referees will be told to announce the replay decision immediately in the stadium, rather than waiting for the end of a commercial break. This will help speed up play.
“We want to get going. We want to be ready to play,” Goodell said.
The decision to have Blandino be in charge of calls may not go over well with everyone around the league, including referees.
In 2015 an anonymous referee told ESPN current on-field referees weren’t too fond of Blandino.
“The animosity is starting, because he’s having to make the tough decisions and he is a company man and he’s not siding with the officials. The officials kind of feel that, ‘Well, you’ve never been on the field,’” the official said. “It’s a tough position. It’s a no-win situation.”
For more Patriots news, visit weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...
- Super Bowl 51 Champion New England Patriots Visit President Trump at...
- Rob Gronkowski Interrupts Sean Spicer's Press Briefing During White House...