Correctional officer assigned to Aaron Hernandez cell block reportedly ‘detached with pay’ after death
|04.20.17 at 11:41 am ET|
A day after Aaron Hernandez died following an apparent suicide at the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Massachusetts more details continue to emerge.
According to Boston-based investigative reporter Michele McPhee, the correctional officer assigned to Hernandez’s cell block has been detached with pay. She tweeted earlier the officer failed to conduct the 2 a.m. check, but the tweet has since been deleted.
According to the Department of Correction, Hernandez was discovered hanging in his cell at approximately 3:05 a.m.
“Mr. Hernandez was in a single cell in a general population unit,” the statement read. “Mr. Hernandez hanged himself utilizing a bed sheet that he attached to his cell window. Mr. Hernandez also attempted to block his door from the inside by jamming the door with various items.”
He was transported to UMass Leominster Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 4:07 a.m. Wednesday morning.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...
- Super Bowl 51 Champion New England Patriots Visit President Trump at...
- Rob Gronkowski Interrupts Sean Spicer's Press Briefing During White House...