|NFL personnel man ‘convinced’ Patriots will sign Darrelle Revis||03.23.17 at 1:41 pm ET|
Maybe there was actually something to the rumors of Darrelle Revis returning to the Patriots last weekend.
Speaking with CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora, a NFL personnel man said he’s convinced the cornerback returns to the Patriots for the 2017 season.
“We did our work on him. He can still play,” the personnel man told La Canfora. “He can cover. He doesn’t have that long speed anymore; he’s not going to cover a No. 1 receiver deep. But he can cover in tight spaces and he has great instincts. The film is not as bad as some would have you believe. He’s a perfect fit in that quarters scheme Belichick runs, and they have the kind of safeties who can help him out, too. We’re convinced he’s going back to New England. It just makes too much sense.”
The Patriots could have a need at cornerback if Malcolm Butler indeed goes to the Saints.
After being released by the Jets before free agency, he’s still getting paid $6 million from the Jets for the upcoming season, so a team that signs him doesn’t need to give him a huge contract. Perhaps, Bill Belichick sees that as value and takes a chance, but Revis had his worst season as a pro last year and reportedly was out of shape most of the year.
For how signing Revis doesn’t make sense for the Patriots, here’s a column from earlier in the week.
|Why is there buzz surrounding Darrelle Revis potentially signing with Patriots?||03.19.17 at 1:26 pm ET|
As soon as charges were dropped against Darrelle Revis in a Pittsburgh court last week, many started to connect him to signing with the Patriots as a way to get his career back on track.
It raises the question, why are the Patriots the team he’s connected to?
First off, he wouldn’t cost much at all considering the Jets have to pay him $6 million, so any team that signs him would not need to give him a big contract with what he’s already getting from the Jets. The Patriots and Bill Belichick love value and Revis’ situation certainly gives him good value to any team that potentially signs him.
Secondly, playing for the Patriots would likely get Revis’ career back on track.
Currently, the 31-year-old is at the lowest point of his career coming off his worst season ever and then having the legal situation hanging over his head. A productive season in New England, likely going deep into the playoffs, would get his career back on track and have teams wanting his services once again. Of course, this is all dependent on Revis putting the work in again (unlike last year with the Jets), which he says he is willing to do.
Also, by playing for Belichick and the organization in 2014, Revis knows the Patriots’ system well and Belichick knows how to use him best.
There’s nothing to suggest the Patriots are actually interested in Revis, but it can be seen why rumors are out there of him signing with the Patriots to get his career back on track.
|Jets coach Todd Bowles addresses releasing Darrelle Revis, his recent arrest||03.02.17 at 2:09 pm ET|
The Jets made headlines before the NFL combine began when they informed Darrelle Revis he will be released before free agency begins on March 9.
While Revis’ play slipped last season, some speculated he was released after his arrest for felony assault a few weeks ago.
“No, not at all,” head coach Todd Bowles told reporters Thursday at the NFL combine.
Given his performance last season, the Jets could have tried to switch Revis to safety, but in the end it was better just to release him and move on.
“Obviously, the business side of it … had a lot to do with it as well,” Bowles said. “Trying to move a guy and project a guy from corner to safety at that kind of salary is kind of tough.”
Revis was on the books for close to $10 million in 2017 after signing a five-year, $70 million deal after the 2014 season. Bowles isn’t looking at the deal as a mistake.
“No, I think it was a good idea,” he said. “I think it was a good call at the time. Obviously, he didn’t play as well this year. Neither did anybody else, but he’s a good football player, and that doesn’t bother me at all.”
As for his arrest, that isn’t the person Bowles knows Revis as.
“It’s shocking, because I know the man,” Bowles said. “Forget the football player; I know the man. I know he has good character and he’s a good guy. Sometimes you get put in situations that things happen. I don’t really know what happened or who’s at fault or anything like that. I just know the guy.”
Revis will be a free agent and can sign with any other team.
|Jets tell Darrelle Revis he will be released||02.28.17 at 8:15 pm ET|
Darrelle Revis’ second stint in New York is up.
The Jets announced Tuesday night they have informed the cornerback he will be released and become a free agent on March 9.
“Darrelle Revis is one of the greatest players to ever wear a Jets uniform,” said Jets owner Woody Johnson in the press release. “His combination of talent, preparation and instincts is rare and helped him become one of the most dominant players of his generation. I appreciate Darrelle’s contributions to this organization and, wherever his career takes him, his home will always be here with the Jets.”
Revis, who is 31 years old, faces charges after an alleged altercation that took place nearly two weeks ago in Pittsburgh. The trial has been reportedly pushed back to March 15.
He was going to enter the third year of a five-year, $70 million deal he signed after winning Super Bowl XLIX with the Patriots. Revis’ play dipped dramatically in 2016. It will be interesting to see what kind of market he has over the next few weeks.
For more Patriots news, visit weei.com/patriots.
|Jets’ tampering with Darrelle Revis in 2015 reportedly more severe than NFL led on||02.20.17 at 1:59 pm ET|
Remember when the Jets were fined $100,000 in 2015 for tampering with Darrelle Revis before he signed with them right when free agency began?
Well, the Jets reportedly did more than just have Woody Johnson say he wanted him back during a December press conference.
In a piece published in the New York Daily News on Monday, columnist Manish Mehta revealed things went much deeper than that.
According to Mehta, the Jets communicated with Revis, Inc. through private cell phones and face-to-face covert meetings at the 2015 scouting combine rather than make calls from the team’s landlines at their Florham Park facility, and Johnson knew all about it.
All this came immediately after Revis won a Super Bowl with the Patriots.
Revis eventually signed a five-year $70 million deal with the Jets as soon as free agency opened, but after the events of last week and the cornerback’s poor play this past season, the contract is looking like a mistake.
But, with everything that happened leading up to the signing it’s looking like just a case of bad karma going the Jets’ way.
For more Patriots news, visit weei.com/patriots.
|Here is the latest with Darrelle Revis in bizarre case||02.18.17 at 10:45 am ET|
It’s been a strange past few days for Darrelle Revis.
The Jets cornerback officially turned himself into police on Friday night in Pittsburgh. He is charged with two counts of aggravated assault, one count of robbery and one count of conspiracy. He’s also been charged with making terroristic threats, which is a misdemeanor.
ESPN reports he has been released on non-monetary bond and his next court date will be Thursday. He was ordered to appear at all hearings and told not to have any contact with the alleged victims and witnesses, even on social media. He also has 72 hours to turn in his passport.
According to the police report, early Monday morning Pittsburgh police officers found two men unconscious after an incident with Revis. Those men told officers they had a verbal altercation with Revis, but didn’t know who had punched them. Revis threw a cellphone belonging to one of the men into the street, but police saw the video afterwards and that was when Revis was charged.
Revis’ attorney Blaine Jones told ESPN he believes Revis has a “very good case.” He described his client as serious, somber and “ready to answer charges.”
For more Patriots news, visit weei.com/patriots.
|Discarding Darrelle Revis was one of Bill Belichick’s best moves||02.17.17 at 4:14 pm ET|
Two years ago, talking heads across the sports radio dial lambasted Bill Belichick for allowing Darrelle Revis to sign with the Jets in free agency. But now, all of the rage seems foolish. Letting Revis walk was one of the best decisions Belichick has ever made.
The latest lowlight for Revis came last weekend, when he may have knocked out two men during an early morning fight in Pittsburgh. According to police, the now-washed up cornerback had an altercation with two men who recognized him and approached him at 2:43 a.m. Sunday. One of them took out a cell phone and started recording Revis, who took the device and threw it onto the street. An unidentified male then came to Revis’ aid. The 22-year-old and 21-year-old victims say they were knocked unconscious shortly thereafter. Their story is corroborated by witnesses.
Revis, 31, is facing charges of robbery, terroristic threats, conspiracy and aggravated assault. His attorney, Blaine Jones, told the NFL Network Thursday Revis wasn’t the aggressor.
Long before last Sunday’s scuffle, Belichick’s decision to discard Revis was vindicated. Some say that happened the moment the Jets signed the veteran corner to a five-year, $70 million deal with $39 million guaranteed –– an obscene contract the Patriots would’ve never forked over.
After showing some signs of regression in 2015, Revis became a liability last season. It started Week 1, when Bengals wideout A.J. Green burned him for 12 catches and 180 yards. His performance didn’t get any better from there. The following week, he was torched by little-known Bills wide receiver Marquise Goodwin for an 84-yard touchdown pass in prime time on Thursday Night Football. On and on it went.
Tyrod goes DEEEEEEEP.@flashg88dwin beats Revis for an 84 yard TD!
— NFL (@NFL) September 16, 2016
During his lone season with the Patriots, Revis was a lockdown No. 1 corner. Quarterbacks who targeted him in 2014 were 33 of 76 (43.4%) for 523 yards, two touchdowns, four interceptions and a 53.8 rating. That stellar play is a big reason why the Patriots steamrolled their competition in the second half of the year and won Super Bowl XLIX.
Letting Revis leave that offseason was bold, especially because the Patriots replaced him with Malcolm Butler. The undrafted rookie made the game-winning interception in Super Bowl XLIX, but was still relatively untested. But now, two years later, he’s one of the best cornerbacks in the game. Revis, meanwhile, was picked apart all season long in 2016. Quarterbacks who targeted him last season posted a passer-rating north of 100.
For the price of $600,000, Butler vastly outperformed Revis and his $17 million base salary. Beat writers are now calling for the Jets to cut Revis outright, and eat the $6 million they still owe him.
The way Belichick played the Revis situation is a reminder the Patriots’ dynasty is about more than Tom Brady. That kind of deft personnel management –– signing Revis to an one-year, $12 million deal with $20 million team option so he could rebuild his value –– is a big reason why the Patriots have been able to stay on top for 15 years.
Belichick preaches the importance of value. The way he handled Revis embodies his brilliant team building philosophy.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video
- Photos of Tom Brady's Previously Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Revealed