|Victor Cruz is ‘looking at life through a different lens’ after visiting Sandy Hook family||12.18.12 at 9:19 pm ET|
With his salsa TD celebrations and a Super Bowl championship, Victor Cruz has brought much joy to the fan base of the New York Giants. On Tuesday, he tried to give something else on his day off from the Giants — comfort to one of the families that suffered a horrific loss last Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
The UMass product traveled to Newtown, Conn., on Tuesday, visiting with the family of a Jack Pinto, a 6-year-old boy killed Friday in the Sandy Hook shooting.
Pinto was a Giants fan who called Cruz his favorite player. The wideout visited the family for more than three hours, a day after the boy was laid to rest wearing a No. 80 Cruz jersey.
“Much love to the entire Pinto family. Great people with huge hearts,” Cruz tweeted after leaving the home. “Looking at life through a different lens.”
Cruz wrote “Jack Pinto” and “My Hero” on his cleats prior to the Giants’ 34-0 loss to the Falcons in Atlanta on Sunday.
Cruz and the family made it clear they wanted no publicity about the visit, a point made clear afterward.
“It was a successfully private moment, and I’d prefer to keep it that way,” a guest told NFL.com afterward. (For video of Cruz, visit NFL.com)
Cruz, like many players and coaches around the NFL, was nearly in tears before Sunday’s game, as the NFL paid tribute to the 20 children and six innocent adults who were murdered in the massacre at Sandy Hook.
Clearly, a moment like Tuesday helps players and families alike on the long and difficult road to coping and healing.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades