|Qadry Ismail on M&M: ‘You stop Vince Wilfork, you give yourself a chance’||01.15.13 at 1:00 pm ET|
Former Ravens receiver Qadry Ismail, now a TV/radio host in Baltimore, joined Mut & Merloni on Tuesday to preview Sunday’s AFC championship matchup.
Ismail said the Ravens defense won’t be intimated by New England’s high-powered offense, especially considering the teams’ recent history of games against each other. And the key to the Ravens’ offensive success is how Baltimore handles Vince Wilfork.
“Offensively, Joe Flacco and the offense, they’re churning, they’re doing things, they’re feeling pretty good,” Ismail said. “I think that’s something that you take into consideration. I know one thing, offensively, you’re going to have to find a way to stop Vince Wilfork. You stop Vince Wilfork, you give yourself a chance. You don’t stop Vince, it’s going to be a long day.”
Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo took to Twitter on Sunday night to sound off on the Patriots’ hurry-up offense, accusing New England of borderline cheating. He apologized on Monday for embarrassing himself and the organization.
“I absolutely am shaking my head, like, ‘What are you thinking?’ He’s normally spot-on in regards to just his measure and understanding what’s the right thing to say and what’s the incorrect thing to say, and don’t say that incorrect thing,” Ismail said. “When you’re looking at the Patriots offense ‘¦ you’re absolutely right, it’s about situational football. If you ain’t ready on defense and we are, and that referee says, ‘OK, the play clock is started,’ what am I supposed to do, wait for you?”
Added Ismail: “That’s what you look at when you’re talking about a veteran like Tom Brady. He’s figured out another way to enhance the probability of a play working. You as a defense, you have to be honed in and ready to perform or he will make you pay. It’s that simple.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Even Patriots Haters Should Marvel at Historic Greatness of Brady and Co.
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction